- The singer, is accused of fraudulently diverting hundreds of naira earmarked by the Nigerian government for N-Power project
- Our sources said the ICPC might approach the court on Wednesday for an extended remand order to enable the agency complete its investigation before charging the musician to court.
The Independent Corrupt Practices and other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) has broken his silence on arrest of singer, D’banj.
The singer had been allegedly arrested and detained by the commission over fraud allegations.
In a new update, the commission has refuted claims of arresting the singer. According to the spokeswoman, D’banj had turned himself in on Tuesday, December 6th.
The commission said D’Banj initially failed to show up after several invitations following a petition from some unnamed petitioners but ultimately back down on Tuesday and came in to explain his role in the matter.
DAILY POST learnt this in a statement signed by the Commission’s spokesperson Mrs. Azuka Ogugua on Wednesday.
“The N-Power is a scheme established by President Muhammadu Buhari on 8th June 2016, to address the issues of youth unemployment and empowerment and help increase social development.
“In line with its mandate, the Commission had received numerous petitions on the diversion of N-Power funds running into billions of naira following the approval and release of such funds to the beneficiaries by the Federal Government. Many N-Power beneficiaries had complained over the non-receipt of the monthly funds in spite of payment by the Government.
About 10 persons have been invited by the ICPC over the last few months in connection with the N-Power fraud, and have been granted administrative bail after their detention. Several invitations to Mr. Oladipo Daniel Oyebanjo, to appear before a team of investigators were ignored and not honoured.
“Mr. Oyebanjo turned in himself and was taken into custody at the ICPC Headquarters on Tuesday, 6th December 2022, and is currently assisting the investigators to unravel the circumstances of the fraud allegations by the petitioners.
“The investigation will be all-encompassing and also be extended to other collaborators of the fraud and the banks where the beneficiaries’ accounts are domiciled.
“The press release becomes necessary to set the record straight in view of the reports awash in the media. The investigation is ongoing and the Commission prefers not to preempt its outcome and also avoid the frenzy of a media trial”, the statement contained.