A 32-year-old father of two, Gbenga Olorunsola, has been killed by his friend, Damilare Adenuga, after an altercation between the two at a drinking joint at Kayfarm Estate, Iju-Ishaga, Lagos, degenerated into a scuffle.


It was gathered that 28-year-old Adenuga, a commercial motorcyclist, (okada rider) was a guard in the estate, while the deceased worked there as an electrician.


It was learnt that the suspect was sacked sometime in May 2016, due to his alleged unruly behaviour and warned not to come to the estate. Adenuga, however, visited the estate on Saturday around 11am and went to a joint to drink with his friends. As the fun was on, Olorunsola arrived at the joint.


A few minutes later, he was said to have questioned Adenuga about his presence in the estate and told him to leave.


“Gbenga (Olorunsola) snatched a cup of drink his friend, Adenuga was holding and poured it on him.

Other friends initially thought they were joking with each other. But they started exchanging words and Gbenga threatened to beat him up.


“Gbenga aimed a punch at Damilare, while Damilare brought out a knife which he used to stab him in the chest. He fled after the attack, while Gbenga was rushed to the Ifako-Jaiye General Hospital,” one of the eyewitnesses, who spoke on condition of anonymity, told Punch Metro.


However, another eyewitness, who identified himself only as Kolawole, said the electrician went to meet the suspect after they had been separated, and told him to leave the estate. Kolawole said the victim had lost much blood before he reached the hospital, adding that he died shortly after he was admitted.


“Adenuga had been warned by the leadership of the estate to stop coming after he was relieved of his duty as a guard. But he has been coming here from time to time because he is an okada rider.


“I think there was more between them than the immediate cause of the fight. It was amazing that such a minor disagreement could lead to a fight, let alone death,” he added.


The Lagos State Police Public Relations Officer, SP Dolapo Badmos, said Olorunsola’s corpse had been deposited at the Mainland General Hospital’s mortuary.


The PPRO added that the suspect would be transferred to the State Criminal Investigation and Intelligence Department in Panti, Yaba for further investigation.



Leave a Reply